51. Storage and memory differ with respect to which of the following characteristics?
Answer: All of the above
Solution: Memory is what your computer uses to store data temporarily, while storage is where you save files permanently. When you save a file, it’s copied from the memory onto the storage drive.
52. What are the two examples of freeware?
Answer: Instant messaging and the Google toolbar
Solution: Instant messaging and the Google toolbar are two examples of freeware. Freeware is in contrast to commercial software, which is typically sold for profit but might be distributed for a business or commercial purpose with the aim to expand the market share of a “premium” product.
53. What is e-commerce?
Answer: Buying and selling of products and services over the Internet
Solution: e-commerce is simply the buying and selling of goods and services using the internet when shopping online.
54. The ________ tells the computer how to use its components.
Answer: Operating system
Solution: An operating system is a program that acts an interface between the software and computer hardware.
55. A ________ contains buttons and menus that provide quick access to commonly used commands.
Solution: A toolbar contains buttons and menus that provide quick access to commonly used commands. The toolbar is a graphical control element on which on-screen buttons, icons, and other output and input elements are placed.
56. Which of the following displays the contents of an active cell?
Answer: Formula bar
Solution: The formula bar in Excel is located next to the name box and above the worksheet area. It displays the data stored in the active cell.
57. What type of program controls the various computer parts and allows the user to interact with the computer?
Answer: Operating system
Solution: Operating system (OS) – a software that controls and coordinates the computer hardware devices and runs other software and applications on a computer.
58. What is backup?
Answer: Protecting data by copying it from the original source to a different destination
Solution: Backup is the process of creating a copy of the data on your system that you use for recovery in case your original data is lost or corrupted.
59. Network components are connected to the same cable in the ________ topology.
Solution: Bus topology employs a single cable (Bus) to connect all the nodes.
60. Which of the following is the largest unit of storage?
Solution: A Terabyte (TB) is a measure of computer storage capacity. It equals approximately a trillion bytes.
61. Which type of software manages the computer’s processes, functioning as an interface, connecting the user, the application software, and the hardware?
Answer: Operating system
Solution: Operating System (OS) – a set of programs that manage computer hardware resources and provide common services for application software. The operating system acts as an interface between the hardware and the programs requesting I/O.
62. The portion of the CPU that coordinates the activities of all the other computer components is the
Answer: Control unit
Solution: The part of a computer that coordinates all its functions is called Control Unit.
63. Something which has easily understood instructions is said to be
Solution: User-friendly describes a hardware device or software interface that is easy to use.
64. The primary device that a computer uses to store information is
Answer: Hard drive
Solution: The primary device that a computer uses to store information is the hard drive.
65. Which of the following is a program that works like a calculator for keeping track of money and making budgets?
Solution: A spreadsheet is a computer program that can capture, display, and manipulate data arranged in rows and columns.
66. What menu is selected to print?
Solution: The file menu is selected to print. The print option is available under the file option available at the left top corner of the screen in a document.
67. Which of the following is a program or a set of electronic instructions that tell a computer what to do?
Solution: Software, instructions that tell a computer what to do. The software comprises the entire set of programs, procedures, and routines associated with the operation of a computer system.
68. ________are symbols that represent any character or combination of characters.
Solution: A wildcard is a symbol that takes the place of an unknown character or set of characters. Commonly used wildcards are the asterisk (*) and the question mark (?).
69. Which of the following is a word in a web page that, when clicked, opens another document?
Solution: Hyperlink in a web page that when clicked opens another document. It is a reference to data that the reader can directly follow by clicking or hovering.
70. The________, also called the Web, contains billions of documents.
Answer: World Wide Web
Solution: World Wide Web is also called the web contains and includes billions of documents. This is necessary for the network and denotes billions of documents for accessing with blinking symbols and others.
71. A (n) ________is a small group of computers and peripherals linked together in a small geographic Area
Solution: A local area network (LAN) is a group of computers and peripheral devices that share a common communications line or wireless link to a server within a distinct geographic area.
72. .bas, .doc and. htm are the examples of
Solution: A computer file extension is commonly a three-character addition that follows the name of a file. A few of the more common file extensions include EXE, DOC or DOCX, XLS, TXT, PDF, and MP3.
73. Saving is a process
Answer: To copy documents from memory to a storage medium.
Solution: Saving is the process of copying items from RAM to a storage device such as a hard disk. RAM chips usually reside on a memory module, which is a small circuit board. The amount of RAM necessary in a computer often depends on the types of software you plan to use.
74. ________ is the process of implementing the command
Solution: Executing is the process of carrying out commands.
75. ________ is printed information that exists in a real sense and is a more permanent form of output than the output existing on the display device.
Answer: Hard copy
Solution: A hard copy is a printed form of a digital document file from a computer on paper or any other material that may be transparent.