26. The Assistant is____________
Answer: An animated character that provides help and suggestions.
Solution: “The Assistant” is a stealth bomb of a movie: It barely makes a noise but it leaves a crater in your heart. Clippy is a nickname for an animated character that acts as an “Office assistant” in some forms of Microsoft Word.
27. A CPU contains_____________
Answer: A control unit and an arithmetic logic unit.
Solution: The CPU is made up of three main components, the control unit, the immediate access store and the arithmetic and logic unit.
28. The ability of an OS to run more than one application at a time is called
Solution: Multitasking refers to the ability to execute more than one task (or program) at the same time. In multitasking, only one CPU is involved, but it switches from one program to another so quickly that it gives the appearance of executing all of the programs at the same time.
29. Permanent instructions that the computer uses when it is turned on and that cannot be changed by other instructions are contained in
Solution: The permanent memory of a computer is known as ROM (Read-only memory). In computers and other electronic devices, read-only memory (ROM) is a form of non-volatile memory.
30. What are .bas, .doc, and .htm examples of?
Solution: A file extension (or simply “extension”) is the suffix at the end of a filename that indicates what type of file it is. Extensions are small software programs that customize the browsing experience.
31. The vast network of computers that connects millions of people all over the world is called
Solution: The internet is a global network connecting millions of computers.
32. The property that when classes are arranged in a hierarchy, each class assumes the attributes and Methods of its ancestors is called
Solution: In the inheritance hierarchy, classes become more specific and concrete with each new subclass. If you move from a subclass back up to a superclass, the classes become more general and less specific.
33. The software component of an expert system that draws conclusions is the
Answer: Inference engine
Solution: The inference engine is known as the brain of the expert system as it is the main processing unit of the system. It applies inference rules to the knowledge base to derive a conclusion or deduce new information.
34. The attributes and methods for each object are stored in
Answer: An object repository
Solution: Attributes – things that the object stores data in, generally variables. Methods – Functions and Procedures attached to an Object and allowing the object to perform actions.
35. One advantage of dial-up Internet access is
Answer: It utilizes existing telephone service.
Solution: Everyone has a phone line, dial-up connection is available to everyone with a computer and a modem (including a built-in modem). Dialup may be the only choice available for rural or remote areas where a broadband connection is not available.
36. What is backup?
Answer: Protecting data by copying it from the original source to a different destination
Solution: Backup is the process of creating a copy of the data on your system that you use for recovery in case your original data is lost or corrupted. You can also use the backup to recover copies of older files if you have deleted them from your system.
37. Which of the following is true?
Answer: An eight-digit binary number is called a byte.
Solution: A byte is a unit of measurement used to measure data. One byte contains eight binary bits or a series of eight zeros and ones.
38. A hard copy of a file created on a computer refers to data
Answer: Printed on a printer.
Solution: A hard copy (or “hardcopy”) is a printed copy of information from a computer. Sometimes referred to as a printout, a hard copy is so-called because it exists as a physical object.
39. A ______ is an organized collection of data about a single entity.
Solution: A database is an organized collection of interrelated data that serves a number of applications in an enterprise. The database stores not only the values of the attributes of various entities but also the relationships between these entities.
40. Something which has easily understood instructions is said to be
Solution: Something which has easily understood instructions is said to be User-friendly. It’s a technical solution that is easy for all (or at least most) people to use to get their jobs done.
41. Hardware devices that are not part of the main computer system and are often added later to the System are called
Solution: Peripheral devices are hardware devices that are not part of the main computer system and are often added later to the system. E.g. Speakers are such peripheral devices.
42. All of the following are examples of real security and privacy risks except
Solution: All of the following are examples of real security and privacy risks Except Spam. The name Spam was derived from a contraction of ‘spiced ham. The original variety of Spam is still available today, acknowledged as the ‘spiced hammiest’ of them all. Spam is electronic junk mail or junk newsgroup postings.
43. If you want to move an icon on your desktop, this is called
Solution: The technique of pressing the left mouse button, moving the mouse, and releasing the button is known as dragging.
44. A computer checks the ________ of usernames and passwords for a match before granting access.
Solution: A computer checks the Database of usernames and passwords for a match before granting access. A database is an organized collection of structured information, or data, typically stored electronically in a computer system.
45. Computers that are portable and convenient for users who travel are known as
Solution: A computer portable and easy to carry by travellers is called a laptop.
46. A MODEM is connected between a telephone line and a
Solution: Modem is an electronic device that allows computers to communicate over telephone wires or cable TV cable.
47. Windows is ________ and Window 95, Window 98 are________.
Answer: Graphical User Interface, Operating System
Solution: The most popular operating systems are Windows 95/98, MS-DOS (Microsoft Disk Operating System), and OS/2, but others are available, such as Linux, and BeO.
48. Which of the following is the most widely used input device?
Solution: Keyboard is the most common and very popular input device which helps to input data to the computer.
49. The blinking symbol which indicates the next position of the character is called
Solution: The black flashing line is called “the cursor.” It is also called “the text cursor,” or “the insertion point.”
50. A small figure which depicts some application on the screen is called
Solution: Desktop icons are designed to enable quick access to frequently-used programs, files, folders, and so on. Many of these icons will be shortcuts, which are used to launch a program (or whatever) from another location.